Monday, May 28, 2012

Parisian Pineapple Doily

Thrift shops with large book sections never fail to get me in trouble.  My parents visited this past week and I took them to one of my favorite thrift shops in Richmond- my regular haunt of the week to look for books to sell on Amazon.com marketplace.  Usually I come away with a stack of cheap books to sell and most often they are crafty/arty books.  Well, this time I hit the jackpot with crochet pattern booklets-- all thread crochet, all doilies and tableclothes, all from the American School of Needlework-- 25 cents a piece.  Great finds!  I planned to put them all online to sell but I started browsing through them and the deep desire to make something overtook me and voila!  I got out my little size 7 Boye hook and started on, what else?  The Parisian Pineapple Doily from Favorite Pineapple Doilies of Rita Weiss edited by Mary Thomas.  I am HOPELESS in keeping to one project start to finish without starting another.  *sigh*  Anyway, I am totally infatuated with this color of turquoise blue (size 10 Aunt Lydia's) and because it brought to mind in so many ways our recent journey to Paris (see below and previous posts!).  Here is my progress from two evenings.

I am on round eleven out of 24.  I have never worked with thread crochet before so this little hook is a bit of an adjustment and I don't know how many times it has slipped off the thread and ended up lost in the folds of bed or worse yet, under the bed.  :-/

Here is the pattern.  No chart but the written out directions.   Of the tatting from two posts ago I have finished about ten patterned segments but probably I'll stop soon and start something else.  I'm not sure what to do with it as a finished product yet and I am on something revolutionary for me-- a rotation of projects, now, so everything has its allotted time and then it's set aside for a few days.  Maybe I'll be more efficient now?  Next post is all about tambour embroidery updates so stay tuned!!

*sigh*  Paris, I miss you so!!!

3 comments:

  1. There must be something in the air... I started a crocheted doily today! I'm not familiar with the Parisian Pineapple, but it looks like a pattern I would enjoy!

    I've never been to Paris, so I can't say that I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. which store is your favorite. I usually doing find much when I go to the goodwill. I want to crochet one day. Your is beautiful. I saw your little one on facebook that looked like a snowflake to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Jennifer!

    Yes, this is my desktop picture, thanks to you. Hard to believe it is almost a year...

    Your clutch purse is beautiful! Wonderful stitching and technique.

    xxooxx from Toronto,
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete